Our Blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, please visit us at
http://www.twokidsandamap.com
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Five Things You Might Want to Take Camping with Your Toddlers

We recently went camping for the first time in a loooong time. It had been awhile and there were a few things we forgot. We also had a few things with us that made us thankful we remembered them!

1. Bug spray-The bugs are out in full force. If you remember to spray yourself down, it will make your camping trip will be more enjoyable!

2. Pillows and a "lovey"- We forgot pillows...what a disaster! This made for a restless night amongst all of us. As for the lovey, luckily neither of my children have an attachment to a blanket or stuffed animal but if they did, I would be glad that we had it!

3. Outside toys - Baseball and bat, water guns, soccer ball, etc. - all of these toys will keep your kids occupied in between feeding sessions and nature walks.

4. S'mores Ingredients - Marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate bars are a must for a fireside dessert. The kids will love toasting their own marshmallows and putting together this tasty treat!

5. Portable DVD or other electronic - I say this last suggestion with much trepidation. This is not a must and we left ours at home. We love camping and getting outside to play so even if I had brought a DVD player, my kids would not have been interested. That being said, there was a time late in the night when the adults were trying to hang out around the campfire and the kids refused to settle down and go to sleep. Who could blame them? Owls were hooting, crickets were chirping and the wind was whistling through the tent. To my 4yo, it didn't matter that we were right outside the tent...he was jealous that he wasn't with us and a little bit scared to be in the tent alone with his sister. One 25m episode of Go Diego Go! would have settled him down right away, allowed him a piece of home, and allowed all of the adults time to hang out. That being said, I don't know if I will bring the DVD or the Nintendo DS on the next trip.

4 comments:

jamiepea said...

Let me be the first to say that it is TOTALLY okay to bring a portable DVD player camping with toddlers.

Taking a little time off from the madness makes you a better parent, and they need the rest!

Sharlene said...

I understand the portable dvd player but there is something inside of me that shouts "no!". We'll see how I feel after my first cmaping trip with my two year olds this summer. I may pack it just in case.

Lorraine said...

Ah, we just 'camped' in our backyard this weekend to test out our gear and to give the kids some diversion. We are set to go on a 'real' camp trip later in June, so your post comes at a great time. I like the idea of the outside toys and will add it to our list.

The Q Family said...

We haven't done any camping trip as a family yet. I will definitely keep this list in mind when we have our first trip..

-Amy @ The Q Family