Our Blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, please visit us at
http://www.twokidsandamap.com
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

PhotoRescue 3

Have you ever taken fantastic vacation pictures on your digital camera only to return home and realize that your memory card is corrupted or no longer works? Luckily, this has only happened to me once but it is because I accidentally launched my camera into a glacial river in Switzerland. I learned the hard way to save my photos to the computer every evening and upload them to a web service of my choice to back them up to ensure that I would never lose my photos again.

What happens if your memory card is suddenly wiped clean or corrupted? Tonight, I had a memory card with 350 pictures from a weekend photo shoot get corrupted mid-save. After a massive panic attack (one where I pitched a card reader across the room and mumbled several unmentionable words), I started doing some research on the Internet. I found several photographer message boards that discussed memory card corruption and the general consensus seemed to be that PhotoRescue 3 is the best thing for recovery. I was shocked...I didn't even realize that you could recover photos from a corrupted memory card. We tried the card in two card readers, two separate laptops and two different cameras.

I went to the PhotoRescue website, read through the terms of service and downloaded the trial version with the PhotoRescue promise that if the trial works (meaning it shows the thumbnails of the pictures that I wish to rescue) it will only cost me 29.95 to recover my pictures. After running the trial version, it appeared as if it was able to recover my photos. I purchased my software and in just a few minutes I had a registration code and was able to complete the process.

I could cry tears of joy right now...PhotoRescue rescued all 350 photos from my photo shoot. I immediately burned a cd of them and saved them to the computer, the hard drive and a flash drive!!! Not only did it save those 350 photos, but it also saved 900 other photos that I had taken on this memory card and have since deleted. And a bonus--it is a one time fee of $29.95 for a non-expiring license. If this happens again, I will have PhotoRescue ready to go!

On a side note, while I was researching memory card recovery I did note that many people said that Lexar 4GB cards seem to give them trouble. Now that I am charging for my pictures and my time, I definitely am going to upgrade my memory cards and will limit them to 1 or 2GB. This will insure that I will not lose too many photos if this ever happens again.

THANK YOU PHOTORESCUE!!!

2 comments:

kidsgowest said...

Very good to know. I've never had that happen to me, but if I do, then I'll know where to turn.
I just started taking more memory cards w/ me, and putting less pics on them when I'm traveling. Just in case I don't have time to upload them to computer. Now the problem, is making sure I don't lose those...

The Q Family said...

I'm glad you were able to recover your pictures. Also thanks for sharing. It's good to know! We never have issues with our memory card before. But we do know the feeling of loosing the photo from our hard drive. Now we are backing it up three folds. :)

-Amy @ The Q Family